3.26.2009

Two of my favorite things:


Coffee and running. Mmmm. Just the thought of it makes me warm and twitchy. Is there a better combination? Beer and running is a close second (carbohydrates, hello?), but coffee goes with running like bait goes with fishing. Like tires go with driving. Like Elodie's pacifier goes with sleeping. It's essential. Don't talk to me about dehydration, diuretic, blah, blah, blah. I won't hear of it. I've got the rest of the day to drink water (although I probably won't, to be honest). And no, Diet Coke or Black Tea or Chocolate Milk is not an acceptable substitute. This goes well beyond cravings or habit or addiction. Coffee is fundamental. It is motivation and fuel and reward all heaped into one warm, delicious, freshly ground and brewed mug (with a little cream). And now, the secret is out: it might also be the key to my fastest 10K. And yours. And it is totally legal.
Check out yesterday's article in the New York Times: It's Time to Make a Coffee Run.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am also a constantly caffeinated and dehydrated runner and I totally agree with you! I wish I could make water appear more interesting for me to drink. But, right now, if I can get just a glass or two in a day, it's a win. I know it's not good, but it's hard to beat a fresh cup from just ground beans. mmm mmm mmm!

Anonymous said...

Coffee and running - my favorite addictions - and only :) - in that order. Love a warm cup of coffee before a morning run or event. Dehydration be darned - need my caffeine!!!